Monday, August 25, 2008

A Testimony of Faithfulness - Elna Westfall 102 Years and Now with Jesus

Today I had the privilege of driving with Dave VanAcker to Fergus Falls (MN) to attend the funeral service of Elna Westfall. Elna was the mother of Arvid Westfall who is an elder at Grace Church.

Elna went to be with Jesus at the ripe old age of 102! Her life was marked with signs of faithfulness. First, the faithfulness of God that was the foundation of her life and of her faithfulness. Faithfulness in Elna as a devoted follower of Jesus, faithfulness as a wife to her husband Walter (who died in 1988). Faithfulness in Elna as a mother of four children (Arvid is the third of four children). Faithfulness as a grandmother, and great-grandmother.

Arvid shared a few thoughts about his parents and highlighted two things that were driven home to him by their example.

1) Integrity and
2) Service

Arvid had the opportunity of watching his parents live their lives in honesty (Arvid shared about the old days in which his parents would sharecrop and send a third to the land owner) -- which is so rare in our culture--and sacrificial service. It is no surprise to me that these two qualities abounded in Walter and Elna because I have seen them in their son over the six years that I have known him. More important than the virtues that these saints displayed is the faith that they obtained in the person of Jesus Christ - to the salvation of their souls! Praise God for His everlasting faithfulness.
Psa 71:18 So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.

Isa 46:4 even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.

No comments: