Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tozer on the Obedience of True Disciples


I am reading A. W. Tozer's book on 1 Peter called "I Call It Heresy." It takes only a page or two to remind myself why I like Tozer so much. His use of words turns almost every paragraph into notable quote (Paul David Tripp's books are like that too).

I am particularly looking at what he has to say about obedience and being a disciple. Here are a few quotes:
Brethren, I would point out that obedience is taught throughout the entire Bible and that true obedience is one of the toughest requirements of the Christian life. Apart from obedience, there can be no salvation, for salvation without obedience is a self-contradictory impossibility. The essence of sin is rebellion against divine authority.

I am satisfied that when man believes on Jesus Christ he must believe on the whole Lord Jesus Christ - not making any reservation! I am satisfied that it is wrong to look upon Jesus as a kind of divine nurse to whom we can go when sin has made us sick, and after He has helped us, to say "Goodbye" - and go on our own way.

I thank God that heaven is the world of God's obedient children. Whatever else we may say of its pearly gates, its golden streets and its jasper walls, heaven is heaven because children of the Most High God find they are in their normal sphere as obedient moral beings.

You can read the entire book online. Here are the chapters with the links to the texts.

I have been posting some thoughts or quotes from my reading on Twitter here.

I Call It Heresy! - A.W. TOZER

Twelve Timely Themes From 1st Peter


CONTENTS


1 - I Call It Heresy!
2 -
The Bible Is Not Dead!
3 -
You Can Have the Trappings!
4 -
Never Apologize for God's Mercy!
5 -
Holiness Is Not an Option!
6 -
God Names Me His Beneficiary!
7 -
Qualities of a Divine Inheritance!
8 -
Was Your Humility Showing Today?
9 -
Husband and Wife: A Partnership!
10 -
Trust God with Your Emotions!
11 -
The Christian Has a Right to Grin!
12 -
Where Will the "Experts" Be When Jesus Comes?

No comments: