It is important that we prepare our minds and bodies and take serious this meaningful "ordinance". The Lord's supper is not just some thing we do...it has a lot of meaning.
Observe the following by Wayne Grudem (compiled by Dave VanAcker):
The meaning of the Lord’s Supper.
- Christ’s death. When we participate in the Lord’s Supper we symbolize the death of Christ because our actions give a picture of his death for us. When the bread is broken it symbolizes the breaking of Christ’s body and when the cup is poured out it symbolizes the pouring out or Christ’s blood for us (1 Corinthians 11:26).
- Our participation in the benefits of Christ’s death (Matthew 26:26). That is, in taking part in the Lord’s Supper we are acknowledging the fact that we are united with Christ in his death and therefore in the blessings of his life.
- Spiritual nourishment (John 6:53-57). The spiritual nourishment, so necessary for our souls, is both symbolized and experienced in our participation in the Lord’s Supper.
- The unity of believers (1 Corinthians 10:17). This is remarkable in the local church. It is even more remarkable when we realize that this is the practice, and has been the practice, for all Christian churches for the past 2000 years.
- In the Lord’s Supper Christ affirms his love for me. Having instituted this ordinance and inviting us to participate, we acknowledge that it is an example of Jesus affirming his love for us.
- In the Lord’s Supper Christ affirms that all the blessings of salvation are reserved for me. Again, the Lord’s Supper is meant to remind us of the present and greater future blessings that await all whom Jesus invited to participate (all Christians).
- In the Lord’s Supper I affirm my faith in Christ. Taking part in the Lord’s Supper is an outward sign that we remain faithful to Jesus.
- We must not take in an unworthy manner
- Therefore we must examine ourselves
- In examining ourselves, we must discern the body -- look at our relationships with others in the church and reconcile fractured relationships before we eat of the table