Last Sunday I preached on evangelism and fear.
Here is the audio of my sermon -- "Fear and Discipleship".
I really like what Pastor Dave said at the end of the evangelism seminar on fear and evangelism:
It can be very easy to submit to (and even seek to justify) the fear that we all experience to some degree; especially in light of the institutionalization of our fear. However, despite the ease of doing so, we must fight against it by clinging to the promises of God and choosing, by the power of the Spirit that lives in us, to obey rather than to disobey. We must recognize the need to pray for ourselves and each other. We must avoid any guilt-based methods of spurring one another on toward obedience in evangelism; but we must create a culture of evangelistic expectation at Grace by our words and actions.
Here is the outline of my sermon. You can read the sermon manuscript at www.gracewyomingmedia.com
1. DISCIPLES FOLLOW JESUS
2. FOLLOWING JESUS INCLUDES EVANGELISM
3. EVANGELISM MEANS SHARING OR PROCLAIMING THE GOSPEL WITH OTHERS.
4. THE GOSPEL IS A SPECIFIC TRUTH THAT IS HELPFULLY EXPLAINED WITH SIX POINTS
God - There is a God who is infinitely glorious.
Obligation - We were created by God for His glory.
Sin – We have all sinned and fallen short of God’s glory.
Penalty – The cost of our sin—of failing to live for the glory of God—is death.
Exoneration – In order to show His love, uphold His justice, forgive sinners, and display His glory,
Life Change – The forgiveness of sins and the everlasting life bought by Jesus death belongs to all who repent, believe, and love Jesus.
5. THE GOSPEL PROCLAIMED IS GOD’S APPOINTED MEANS TO BRING THE POWER OF SALVATION. – Or – The Gospel is Powerful
6. TWO NEGATIVE (SINFUL) EMOTIONS ATTACK DISCIPLES IN EVANGELISM
7. WE MUST LET THE GOSPEL SHAPE OUR EMOTIONS –
SIX POTENTIAL FEARS FACING YOU REGARDING EVANGELISM
1. They might harm me…
2. They might ridicule and dislike me…
3. They might expose my ignorance…
4. They might be turned off to Christ by my method or manner…
5. They might expose my sin…
6. They might disown me…