Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Becoming a Suffering-Servant -- Sermon

Here is my sermon manuscript that I preached on Sunday, June 1st. I continued the series "Following Jesus" and preached on the topic of "Becoming a Suffering-Servant."
I looked at Mark 10:35-45 where James and John come to Jesus asked for status and privilege when He sets up the kingdom. Jesus does not categorically condemn the desire to be great, but he attacks the disciples wrong definition of greatness and redefines it in terms of humble service.

My sermon outline:
  1. The Definition of Biblical Greatness -- "Serving others to the glory of God" (from Mahaney)
  2. The Practice of Biblical Greatness -- Seen in Jesus and Paul -- to the extent of suffering and death
  3. The Power of Biblical Greatness -- An eternal perspective
This Sunday I focused more on servitude rather than suffering.

I recommend the helpful little book that I referred to and quote by C. J. Mahaney called Humility: True Greatness.

Mahaney preached a sermon called "True Greatness" that I heard a few years ago and I highly recommend downloading.

No comments: