Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Is it Biblical to have a Woman VP?

It's an understatement to say that Sarah Palin has excited the conservative evangelical base in America. This same base has a large group within it that hold feminism as a heresy and who believe that the Bible teaches that women are restricted from a certain type of leadership in the home and in the church (I am one of them). Is there a contradiction here? Are we seeing a great hypocritcal and pragmatic response by conservative evangelicals? I don't necessarily think so. I found Kevin Bauder's article, "A Women's Place," very helpful as I think on this subject.  Here is the the beginning of the article:

The nomination of Sarah Palin as the Republican candidate for the vice presidency has placed some conservatives in a double-bind. On the one hand, they have been disappointed with the less-than-thorough conservatism of John McCain, so the more “Reaganesque” position of Governor Palin comes as a welcome balance. On the other hand, their understanding of the biblical role of women leaves scant opportunity for a female to occupy the second-highest (and, potentially, the highest) office in the land.

Read the entire article here.

1 comment:

northWord said...

I really enjoyed the article you linked here, and completely agree. When I first started hearing the negative buzz come from a few that I repsect as very biblical Christian's, questioning Gov. Palin's potential position in the office of VP, as a Christian woman and mother, I wasn't sure how to respond - I didn't like the thought of allowing my being enamored with this seeming 'gift that had dropped from the sky' to trump God's order of things.

In short: she is running for Gov. office, not a Pastorate. I won't keep rambling about it but I am glad to see such a well reasoned response.
Thanks for sharing it.

-Suzanne