Friday, July 3, 2009

Declaration of Independency - John Adams


I am reading John Adams by David McCullough and it is a delightful read. McCullough doesn't just write a book with dates and events. He gives the reader a human story. He does a great job telling the story of the founding of the United States of America from the 13 British-governed colonies. He tells it through the lens of the second U.S. president and man responsible for getting the 13 colonies to agree to declare "independency" (as they called it) from King George III in England. On the eve of the Fourth of July (which happens to be on July 4th) I thought I would share this quote from John Adams' letter to his wife Abigail [emphasis mine - he thought the 2nd would be the celebrated date because that was the day the continental congress agreed to sign]:

The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.

I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.

You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not. (p. 130)
His visionary ability and foresight was amazing. Here is the Declaration of Independence which was written by his friend, Thomas Jefferson.

To see more thoughts and quotes from this book you can follow them through my Twitter Account (or Facebook updates).

No comments: