Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day, June 6th, 1944 - 65 Years


Today marks the 65th anniversary of a battle that I am so glad was fought and won (for the Allies and the world) as well as one that makes me so thankful that I have not had to fight in a war. I am thankful for those who have fought in wars such as WWII (and the war in Iraq) and I praise God for His grace by giving the Allies victory over dictators like Adolf Hitler. On June 6th, 1944 the Allied Expeditionary force under the command of Dwight D. Eisenhower lead the largest amphibious assault in the history of warfare on Nazi Germany's army that had set up strong defenses along the beaches of Normandy France. D-Day (Operation Overlord) was the beginning of the end for Nazi Germany. It was the beginning of hope for millions enslaved in Nazi occupied Europe.

Proverbs 21:31 The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.

Here is a video with some old footage of D-Day.



WARNING - THE FOLLOW VIDEO IS EXTREMELY VIOLENT.
Here is a clip from "Saving Private Ryan" where the men land on Omaha beach. I don't think I have ever seen anything that has made me more glad not to be in a war than this clip.

No comments: